Sunday, June 27, 2021

"Off the Furrow"--by Mark Lages--one day, at age sixty-five, Howard Mirth goes "off the furrow", losing his mental equilibrium and finding himself confined to a psychiatric hospital--join him as he journeys through his own mind to find his way home (see my review)

 58109055. sy475 

Off the Furrow

Howard Mirth is a sixty-five-year-old son, husband, and father. He earns a decent living, pays his taxes, loves his family, and stays out of trouble. But one day he snaps, and he finds himself locked up in a mental hospital. Join Howard as he sorts through his confusing life and finds his way back to the real world.

MY REVIEW: "Off the Furrow", by Mark Lages, is imminently revealing, unavoidably personal, and highly readable. It is now my favorite work by this author. Howard Mirth is an advertising executive in his sixties who is seemingly successful in all aspects of his life. One day, during an ad campaign, Howard unravels as he is speaking. He knows what he is saying--but no one else does. Deciding to shake off the oppressive weight of the world, Howard heads for the desert. Luckily, he is rescued, but he is just beginning a journey that will take him through a long series of mental vignettes in which his life and a lifetime of observations play out. As Howard recovers in a mental hospital, his family, friends, and coworkers all cope with his condition in their own way. His wife, Victoria, handles things in the best way she knows--by talking. As she sits by Howard's bedside, she talks and talks--of family, friends, his employer and coworkers, and the family dog. Howard hears her voice and perceives her words, but he is somewhat confused about the passing of time. Gradually, through his own psychological processing, and with professional help, he begins to regain a clearer sense of self. His journey toward wellness is fascinating--even entertaining--and also uncomfortably close to home for readers. I actually am a former ad person in my sixties. Howard's mindful interactions include many different people and experiences, but some of his best advice comes from a mouse. You will root for Howard to see his way clear again--he's not perfect, but he's a decent guy. "A mouse knows these things."

Book Copy Gratis Author

 

Mark Lages 

MARK LAGES SAYS:

"I was born and raised in California, but now live in South Carolina with my wife and our animals. I am neither a liberal nor a conservative. In fact, I despise politics. I think of myself as an artist, and not as a journalist. I've been influenced by Milton Friedman, Frank Lloyd Wright, Hunter S Thompson, Douglas Adams, Salvador Dali, MC Escher, JS Bach, Keith Jarrett, Vincent Price, Tom Waits, and many others. I like to smoke cigars and drink lots of coffee. And I do love to write. Lock me in a room with a box of cigars, a coffee maker, and a computer, and I will do just fine. Click here to leap to my website for more info about me and my books."

 

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this review so much. How can we not want to know more about a guy who takes advice from a mouse? Thanks for sharing, Virginia.

    ReplyDelete